TITLE: Director of Resource Development
RESPONSIBLE TO: Senior Vice President of Strategy and Advancement
DIVISION/DEPART: Strategy and Mission Advancement/Resource Development
SUPERVISES: Resource Development Specialist and Senior Research Analyst and Technical Writer
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
• Lead GII in leveraging financial resources to advance Goodwill mission and identified funding priorities.
• Engage GII and local Goodwill team members in establishing relationships and skills to advance GII strategic plan and network priorities.
1. In collaboration with GII leadership, lead design and implementation of GII fund development plan that supports the GII Strategic Plan and other approved initiatives.
2. Lead prospect search, analysis, and other research for public and private grants and other fund development opportunities.
3. Direct the grant application process including but not limited to coordination of approval to apply, proposal and budget development, quality assurance and timely submission.
4. Lead coordination of GII and local Goodwill organization collaboration on proposal development and other development opportunities.
5. Conduct funder cultivation and relationship management activities including but not limited to phone calls, correspondence, mailings, and meetings with donors and their representatives. Engage key members of GII team with targeted partners.
6. Work closely with CEO, Leadership Team, marketing and other GII team members to engage funders with Goodwill.
7. Lead team in local Goodwill team member capability building activities around resource development including learning events, printed materials, affinity groups, MyGoodwill and other forums.
8. Ensure donor-tracking systems and reporting on fundraising results and partner engagement are correct and current.
9. Lead online fundraising efforts to support the Goodwill network, including online donation software and e-solicitation, end of year giving campaigns and special fund development efforts.
10. Upon award of grants, ensure seamless transition from grant acquisition to the GII Mission Advancement team while working with them to sustain and enhance donor relationships.
11. Lead philanthropy domain for data analytics initiative.
12. Other duties as assigned.
Internal: Work closely with all GII departments and senior leadership.
GII Members: Frequent contact with membership.
Outside: Frequent contact with partners and funders.
Government Officials: Occasional contact with officials.
A. Excellent writing skills including demonstrated grant-writing ability.
B. Ability to plan for and conduct fund raising and respond to grant opportunities.
C. Excellent interpersonal communication, donor research and prospect analysis skills to initiate, cultivate and
maintain donor relationships.
D. Excellent team-building skills to enhance communication and relationships within GII, inter-departmental
collaborations and local Goodwill leaders.
E. Understanding of programmatic requirements and budgeting skills.
F. Ability to manage multiple projects and diverse staff.
G. Excellent organizational skills.
H. Strong public speaking skills.
I. Computer skills at intermediate level including word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation applications.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree required. Emphasis on development, public policy, marketing or social
EXPERIENCE: Eight years of program and budget management experience. Fund raising experience with
individuals, government, corporations and/or foundations required; human services or career
navigation emphasis preferred. Donor research and direct contact experience.
DECISION MAKING: Management decisions; decisions on scheduling tasks, determining priorities and contract
compliance; time management decisions.
SUPERVISION: Latitude is given to the position in carrying out work assignments. Work is reviewed to
ensure that it is conceptually sound and meets assignment objectives
PHYSICAL EFFORT: Sedentary, lifting 10 lbs. maximum. Walking or standing is required only occasionally and
may be accommodated. Requires long hours at a computer. Travel is required.
EMOTIONAL EFFORT: Moderate; occasional short deadlines requiring some extended hours on task. Work
environment may be hectic with occasional to frequent periods