GOVERNMENT RELATIONS SENIOR SPECIALIST
RESPONSIBLE TO: Senior Director of Government Affairs
DIVISION/DEPART: Government Relations/Strategy and Advancement
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
This position is located at our D.C. GII office located near L'Enfant Plaza.
You will be requried to travel to the Memeber Services Center (main office) located in Rockville, MD once a week for team meetings.
1. Facilitates GII engagement on public policy and advocacy issues important to local Goodwill organizations and the communities they serve.
2. Collaborates with GII team members to effectively engage and support autonomous local Goodwill organizations.
A. Represents Goodwill with Congress, the Administration, Hill staffers, federal departments, coalitions and other national organizations to advance GII’s policy agenda.
B. Collaborates to develop and implement strategies to increase Goodwill’s visibility among policymakers and stakeholders and build relationships with the same.
C. Monitors and recommends appropriate responses to legislative and regulatory developments that have implications for autonomous local Goodwill organizations and the people they serve.
D. Supports development and implementation of social media and digital advocacy strategies.
E. Contributes to the development of Goodwill’s public policy agenda.
F. Works with GII team to draft legislative analysis, position statements, white papers, letters to the Hill and the Administration, testimony, reports, articles, fact sheets, issue briefs and other resources.
G. Analyzes policy, legislative and regulatory developments.
H. Engages and supports local Goodwill leaders through vehicles such as MyGoodwill, blogs, webinars, articles, podcasts, presentations and other means
I. Collaborates in planning and implementing Goodwill learning events and other sessions.
1. Internal:Work closely with GII team members to receive and share information and input.
2. Goodwill Members:Work closely with local Goodwill organization representatives to receive and share information and input.
3. Outside: Engage with coalitions and other organizations to build relationships and advance Goodwill’s public policy agenda.
4. Government Officials: Represent GII with elected and appointment government officials. Consistently engage with Hill staff to build relationships and advance Goodwill priorities.
A. Knowledge of state and federal legislative and regulatory processes.
B. Excellent written, electronic and oral communication skills.
C. Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
D. Ability to work collaboratively with GII team members, representatives of Goodwill member
organizations and representatives of outside organizations.
E. Ability to initiate, develop and implement legislative and grassroots mobilization strategies, including
using social and other digital media.
F. Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects while delivering on-time with high quality.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in related field.
1. At least three years experience in policy analysis, advocacy and/or social justice at
state, regional or federal level.
2. Project management and ability to meet deadlines with quality work.
3. Established internal and external consensus with effective written and oral
4. Demonstrated policy, regulatory and/or political analysis skills.
5. Effective with an array of computer applications and social media mechanisms.
6. Interacted effectively with executive and senior management level.
7. Represented a national or regional organization.
8. Monitored and influenced elected and appointed officials.
Monitors and assesses risks and opportunities in the areas of policy and advocacy focus.
Makes recommendations to management for action.
SUPERVISION: Regular with latitude given to select appropriate procedures. The work is reviewed primarily
for the quality of outcome and secondarily for approaches, procedures and methodologies
used to complete the work. Guidance and review may be required on some work problems
Sedentary, lifting 10 pounds maximum. Walking or standing is required only occasionally.
Requires long hours at a computer.
Work environment usually hectic with periods of high stress. Will need a positive attitude to
meet daily challenges.