Database and ETL Administrator
REPORTS TO: Senior Director, Information Technology
DIVISION/DEPT: Operations/Information Technology
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
• Provide database and Extract, Transform and Load (ETL) support to GII’s Data Analytics Initiative
• Responsible for the completeness, consistency and quality of the initiative’s data.
• Lead and maintain Master Data Services mapping, SSIS, WhereScape, Tableau, Alteryx, Qulliup, Visual Studio 2017, TFS projects
• Plan and conduct general database management tasks
• Plan and conduct data modeling and database design tasks
• Plan and conduct schema creation and management
• Plan and conduct database backup, and recovery tasks
• Ensure data integrity
• Ensure database security
• Plan and conduct storage and capacity planning tasks
• Plan and conduct Performance monitoring and tuning tasks
• Plan and conduct Extract, Translate, and Load tasks
• Perform trouble shooting and data restores as needed
• Collaborate with other DBAs to establish and enhance best practices in the area of back-up, data-recovery, database security, ETL, and storage
• Collaborate with project and IT teams by conducting database administration tasks such as installation, configuration, upgrade, migration, and other
• Collect and analyze requirements to design conceptual and logical data models
• Create and maintain metadata and repository usage
• Build appropriate physical database by translating data model
• Conduct database maintenance tasks for GII’s databases supporting enterprise applications, reporting and data analytics activities
• Build, manage and maintain ETLs to support data integration between systems.
• Proactively monitor the database environments and make changes to data structure SQL, and application logic for all GII databases and ETL jobs in support of 99.95% availability.
• Develop best practices, procedures and policies for development environment.
• Write SQL code to implement complex queries for reporting
• Investigate new technologies and suggests new solutions to business problems
• Internal: Work closely with Director, IS to manage activities. Daily contact with IT operations staff, other developers, manager and IT department hierarchy
• Goodwill Members: Occasional contact with membership for data modeling, ETL design and technical assistance.
• Outside: Occasional contact with vendors and contractors.
• Government Officials: N/A
• Required Skills:
o 8+ years of experience with relational databases (Microsoft SQL and MySQL).
o 8+ years of experience as a Database Administrator.
o 8+ years of experience designing and building ETL
o 5+ years of experience working with SSIS
o 5+ years of experience in data analysis and database design.
o 5 years of experience supporting data warehouse and business intelligence systems
o Expert understanding of relational database design concepts.
o Strong experience with SQL queries, SSRS, SSIS, XML, Perl
o Experience supporting business intelligence system
o Experience supporting data warehouse projects and data cleanup for Business Intelligence and data visualization projects
o Experience in data warehouse modeling, creation and maintenance of, DataMart, DataCube, data dimensioning and fact tables maintenance
o Extensive analytical and problem solving skills
o Experience in documenting data requirements
o Experience in designing and developing reports directly is SQL and using report builder applications
o Experience in source code version control techniques.
o Working knowledge of Tableau, Microsoft MDS, WherScape, Quilliup, Alteryx or similar tool and the ability to rapidly ramp up.
o Self-motivated; willingness and ability to learn new technologies rapidly.
o Highly organized with strong attention to detail, time management skills and the ability to multitask.
o The ability to work both independently and as a team.
o Outstanding customer service skills, including providing effective Tier I, II & III customer support.
o Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, using both technical and non-technical terms.
• Desired Skills:
o Experience with performance tuning, security, scalability
o Experience with system software installation, configuration and update.
o Experience in Tableau and ability to maintain Tableau data sources and dashboards.
o Experience in MDS – SQL Server Master Data Services
o Familiarity building Quality Assurance reports
o Familiarity or ability to learn SQL tools such as Idera’s Diagnostic Manager, Redgate’s SQL Compare
o Experience in TFS or similar tools
o Ability to Prioritize work on multiple competing projects to meet deadlines
o Experience with ticketing and task-management tools such as Jira and Zoho
Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent experience.
A minimum of five years of experience programmingWeb applications.
Decisions related to development and maintenance of assigned systems.
Sedentary, lifting 10 lbs. maximum. Walking and standing are required only occasionally. Requires long hours at a personal computer.
Work environment usually hectic with continual periods of high stress. Will need a positive attitude to meet daily challenges.
It is a part of every Member Services Center (MSC) team member’s responsibility to adhere to our culture and our values. These values were designed by us, and we have made a commitment to practice them.
Our board establishes our strategic direction. With our board, our management team develops our annual plan. We implement this plan with input and participation from our colleagues across the various functional areas of the organization. Results matter and our success are based upon the following shared beliefs which incorporate our values.
We are passionate about our mission. We are deeply committed to making a lasting impact on the lives of the people we serve. We foster a work environment that empowers and excites our employees to support our mission.
We value people. We commit to build a mutually supportive, caring, accessible work environment. We respect each other, our members and all stakeholders; and we demonstrate this through collaboration, transparent communication, and a sincere desire to understand one another.
We are ethical. We are trustworthy people engaged in ethical work, and we willingly adhere to a high standard of behavior. Our actions are consistent with our words, and we maintain integrity in all of our relationships.
We are innovative. We constantly strive to anticipate and influence the rapidly changing environment and we develop new opportunities that meet our stakeholders’ needs. We challenge ourselves and each other to strive for excellence, to continually learn and to question the status quo.
We are accountable. We set goals and measures that are aligned with the strategic and annual plans, and we are fully accountable for the results. It is our responsibility to seek input, learn from the best and to continuously improve the quality of our products, services and operations.
We value our resources. We are committed to building a sustainable future and to being careful stewards of our resources. We are socially, financially and environmentally responsible.
We celebrate and recognize. We celebrate individual and collective contributions to our success and growth, and we recognize the value of employee engagement. Humor, friendship, compassion and laughter are important parts of our professional environment.
We value inclusion and diversity. We respect, value and celebrate each individual’s unique attributes, characteristics and perspectives. We are committed to an inclusive work environment that encourages participation and a diversity of thought and action. We implement corresponding strategies and initiatives that enable our organization to lead, thrive and remain relevant.